The court appearance of two suspects arrested in connection with the murder of seven family members in Vlakfontein last week has been postponed to November 12.
The two, 27 year old Ernest Mabaso (who used the Alias Sibusiso Khoza) and 61 year old Victor Khupe made a brief court appearance at the Lenasia Magistrates court.
The two are charged with seven counts of premeditated murder, two counts of fraud and Mabaso faces an additional three counts of rape.
Bail application for Khupe was postponed while Mabaso has abandoned bail.
Mabaso’s lawyer told the Lenasia Magistrates Court that he had abandoned his bail application out of fear for his life.
Mabaso will be detained at Johannesburg Central after abandoning his bail application.
Victor Khuphe’s application will be heard on 12 November.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it will be opposing bail.
Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane also attended the hearing.
Residents had come to the court in their numbers to demand justice following the killings. ‘No bail for killers’‚ ‘Throw away the keys’‚ ‘No tv‚ no food‚ no special treatment’‚ were some of the slogans written on their placards.
The police found the bodies of three women and four children buried under sand in a house in Vlakfontein on October 29, after neighbours noticed a strange stench from the house.