The Johannesburg Roads Agency is undertaking essential maintenance on the M1 double decker section between Smit Street and Crown Interchange. This is part of the maintenance work that has been ongoing for some time during off-peak hours, evenings and weekends.
The next phase of the project will involve the use of specialised equipment and material that will unfortunately require additional lane closures.
Lane closures applicable for the period November 9, 2018 to November 30, 2018 are as follows:
- Two lanes closed either on the left or the right-hand side of the carriageway on a rolling closure: At 24:00 during weekdays and weekends.
- Three lanes closed during week days.
- Three lanes on either the left or right hand side of the carriageway between 23:30 and 3:30.
- On weekends the following closures will be allowed:
- Between 23:30 on a Saturday to 05:00 Sunday and between 22:00 on the Sunday to 03:30 on the Monday, three lanes on either the left or right-hand lane side of the carriageway.
The additional lane closures during the weekday peak hours will result in inconvenience to motorists and business because of increased congestion and longer travel times.
- Motorists are urged to reduce their speeds along the M1 double decker section to 40 km/h and to maintain safe following distances.
- Adhere to traffic guidelines and signage.
- Where possible, adjust travel times.
- Plan your journey.
- Use alternative routes.
JRA Managing Director Goodwill Mbatha, said,“Please be patient, remain courteous and obey traffic signs during this period of roadworks. The long-term benefits of the bridge network will far outweigh the temporary inconvenience during the rehabilitation phase”.
The JRA would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused and will attempt to keep disruptions to a minimum while construction is underway.